Okay ladies — are you ready? My Baby Boomer Body Blast will have our over fifty bodies looking and feeling great in two weeks. I’m going to ask you to step up your game and concentrate on ALL of you.
Do you have a favorite red or pink item of clothing you’d like to wear on Valentine’s Day but it’s just a little too snug?
Today’s post is going to explain what you should eat and how you need to exercise to really ramp up your game and I know you’re up to the challenge! I’m going to share with you my favorite boomer beauty and fashion ideas. And the reward at the end of the road is a fabulous Valentine’s feast that is super yummy and just a little out of control. So buckle your seat belts, step on the accelerator and let’s get going!
follow along with me
LETS TALK ABOUT FOOD
I didn’t say this was going to be easy, but it’s not going to be hard either. When you really want to get in shape fast there are some fundamental rules that are universal and musts. The bottom line is you’ll need to give up a few things but remember, it’s just for a few days. The upside is that you still can eat most of your favorites, but with a little more moderation.
Here are my nutrition suggestions to help blast off some baby boomer blubber:
- KEEP SODIUM INTAKE TO A MINIMUM: I want to be very clear about this because most people think that if they put down the salt shaker their salt intake is in control. Wrong. Almost all of the salt we ingest comes from processed foods. You would be surprised at the amount of salt contained in sweet products like cookies and cakes (the reverse is also true that many savory foods like canned soups contain a lot of sugar). Be diligent about reading every label to check the sodium level. I recently found salt in some frozen vegetables I had purchased. Not ever would I have thought that! Salt makes you retain water and bloats your belly and who wants that?
- CUT YOUR CARBS: You knew this one was coming. White grain products like pasta, bread and crackers give very little to your body except lots of belly bloat and hunger. They digest so quickly that you’re usually more hungry after you consume them. If you’re serious about trying this 2 week program, don’t replace the simple carbs with healthier grains because these healthy options bloat you too. For these 2 weeks try to stay away from carbohydrates. Replace them with extra vegetables and lean protein. Use lettuce as a wrap, or a portabello mushroom cap as a food holder. One trick I use when I just have to have something starchy is I nuke 2 or 3 of those little potatoes (either yellow or red) and eat those as a snack. I feel like I’m cheating but actually they have few calories and are great right after your workout.
- EAT REAL WHOLE FOOD: Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Well, it’s a lot easier than you think. There are so many easy grab and go options in the stores today. Buy a package of hard boiled eggs and eat them instead of eating deli egg salad. Eat good lean proteins like fish, chicken and even some lean beef like flank steak. Snack on raw nuts and seeds and if you have a problem with control, buy them in portion controlled bags. Fill up on fresh vegetables whether in a salad or as a side. Or do something new and make a vegetable stew.
- DON’T SMOTHER: Stay away from all sauces. Regardless of what you think they all have fat, salt and sugar in them. Try using more spices when you cook to replace oil and butter and liquid seasonings like soy.
- SACRIFICE SOMETHING: Okay, all of us cheat and I’m certain we all will a little during this 2 week program. So consciously cut out something that you eat all the time that you know you shouldn’t. I’m raising my hand to say I am going to cut out the handful of gluten free crackers I have every night on my way to bed. What are you willing to surrender until Valentines?
- TAKE HOME A DOGGIE BAG: Whether you’re eating in a restaurant or at home, remove half of the food on your plate and wrap it up. If you need to eat it later because you’re starving then do so but when you split your meals like this you stretch your food intake over a longer period of time.
- HERE’S THE GOOD NEWS: I want you to eat. I want you to eat lots of lean protein like eggs, turkey, chicken and fish. They should be prepared without salt, grease or sugar. Play around with spices. Grill a chicken breast on your stove top and add some cherry tomatoes along the sides during the last few minutes of cooking. Add some fresh basil and black pepper or salt free spice blends and enjoy! Eat lots of salads (try with a flavored vinegar and just a touch of olive oil) but make sure not to load your salad with fatty dressing, croutons and bacon bits (loaded with salt!). Try roasting almost any vegetable — unbelievably delicious. I use a non stick cooking spray on the pan and on the vegetables and put them in a hot oven until they are caramelized. As soon as they come out of the oven I dress them with lots of freshly ground black pepper and a tiny pinch of salt. Try asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini, and my favorite, cauliflower.
- IF YOU NEED TO SPLURGE: Try my Souper Wonton Soup, Crustless Pizza Bites or Bananas Delicious. None of them will put any weight on you.
- NO ALCOHOL: Period. If you’re serious about looking good, put down that wine glass!
LET’S GET MOVING
In conjunction with a mean, clean eating routine you absolutely need to step up your exercise schedule. I’ve made it very simple for you. Here is the daily break down of what you need to do. All the body part routines are on the site. Make sure to do the exercises on each video 3 or 4 times in a session. In addition to doing the video routines you need to do 30 minutes of cardio (walking, bicycle, elliptical, treadmill) 3-5 times each week. If you cannot commit to 30 minutes do what you can but you can break that up into 2-15 minute cardio workouts if you must. The more you do the better you will look and feel so it’s up to you!
Follow this workout schedule for two weeks to maximize your results!
Chest & Back / WHY YOU SHOULD WORK YOUR CHEST & BACK
Wall & Ball Squats / WHY YOU SHOULD SQUAT: 2 EASY MOVES TO TRY
Abs / ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS ABS
Calves / BEST TIP EVER: WORK YOUR CALVES!
30 minutes cardio (treadmill)
Push-Ups / 3 STEPS TO A PERFECT PUSH-UP
Shoulders / STRONG, SEXY SHOULDERS
Biceps / BEST BICEP MOVES FOR WOMEN OVER 50
Triceps / TOP TRICEP MOVES TO TONE OVER 50 FEMALE ARMS
Abs / 5 CLASSIC AB MOVES
30 minutes cardio (elliptical)
If you are new to exercising I highly recommend watching this video:
INTRODUCTION TO WORKING OUT
Just like all things in life, what you put in is what you get out. If you really want to make the effort to improve how you look by Valentine’s Day, you need to do the work. What I have given you is a simple guide to follow but put your own spin on it. If you want to be even more aggressive with your diet and exercise that’s great. If you decide to give this a shot it’s important to be mindful to not look at this 2 week commitment as punishment but as a wonderful gift from you to you. And who deserves it more?