This past week, a local TV reporter Julie Chin in Tulsa suffered signs of stroke on the air. And, more recently NCIS star Pauley Perrette had a massive stroke at 52 and finally decided to talk about it.
Here’s the Video of Julie’s actual stroke on air in case you missed it.
Did you know that strokes are the 5th leading cause of death for women and one in 5 women ages 55 to 75 will have a stroke.
The CDC says 1 in 4 strokes are preventable.
What are some of the causes and risk factors?
High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Obesity, and Hormone Therapy which can cause clots.
What can we do do lower our risks?
Control our Blood Pressure
Moderate Use of alcohol.
Stroke symptoms often happen suddenly, and every person’s symptoms may vary. The warning signs of stroke include:
- Weakness or numbness of the face, arm or leg, usually on one side of the body
- Trouble speaking or understanding
- Problems with vision, such as dimness or loss of vision in one or both eyes
- Dizziness or problems with balance or coordination
- Problems with movement or walking
- Fainting or seizure
- Severe headaches with no known cause, especially if they happen suddenly
Other less common symptoms of stroke may include:
- Sudden nausea or vomiting not caused by a viral illness
- Brief loss or change of consciousness, such as fainting, confusion, seizures or coma