Holiday Sugar Cookies
¼ cup canola oil¼ cup reduced-fat butter1 cup extra fine sugar, such as C&H Bakers Sugar or regular sugar, see shopping tip
1 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 egg, I like Egg-Land’s Best eggs, see shopping tip
2 teaspoons vanilla
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tarter, make sure it’s fresh
1¾ teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Rolling:
⅓ cup white sugar or colored sugar of your choice such as blue and white for Hanukkah or red and green for Christmas
1. In an electric mixer or large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the oil, butter and sugar. Whip until smooth about 1 minute.
2. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Add flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Mix until well blended.
3. Place the batter in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to firm up.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking pans (cooking sheets) with parchment paper, see shopping tip
5. In a small bowl, add the ⅓ cup sugar for rolling.
6. Scoop the batter into rounded 1-inch pieces and roll in sugar. Place each on prepared baking pans.
7. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes, then rotate pans and bake for about 12 more minutes. This will create a crispy cookie when cooled. If you desire softer cookies, bake for the 7-8 minutes, rotate pans and bake for another 7-8 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
8. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container. Crispy cookies will last for several weeks. Soft ones will last a few days, if they last that long!
Makes about 105 cookies
C&H Bakers Sugar (extra fine sugar) is a much finer grain of sugar. Using it in cookies creates a much crispier, lighter dough. Most supermarkets carry it in the baking section where all the sugars are sold. It comes in a carton. If you choose not to use it, substitute with regular sugar.
Egg-Lands Best eggs are better for you than regular eggs. This brand contains more vitamin E, 100 mg of Omega 3 and 25% less saturated fat than regular eggs. These can be found in most supermarkets. There are other brands with these added benefits.
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 1
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 mini cookie
37 calories, .8g fat, 1g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 32mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 mini cookie made with regular butter
48 calories, 2g fat, .5g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 32mg sodium, 5g sugar