What a way to start the day! We’ve never met a bread pudding we didn’t like, but the calories are usually prohibitive. And, that’s why we especially love this version from Skinny Kitchen: it’s delicious, and the calorie count doesn’t ruin it for us for the rest of the day. With applesauce and chopped apples to give it lots of autumnal flavor, and a dollop of light whipped cream or yogurt as a topping, this “skinnified” dessert (or breakfast dish) seems deceptively decadent.
Apple Pie Bread Pudding
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup buttermilk or reduced-fat milk
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 slices mulit-grain or whole wheat bread, cubed, (Nancy uses Milton’s Multigrain)
1 cup apple, peeled & chopped
1 package sugar substitute such as Stevia, Truvia or Splenda
½ tsp. cinnamon
Fat-free whipped cream or fat-free vanilla yogurt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat 4 glass custard cups (6 ounce size, which are 4″ wide) or same size ramekin or small baking dishes with cooking spray, see shopping tip
2. In a large bowl, combine applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Fold in bread cubes and chopped apple.
3. Let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
4. Pour into the 4 glass custard cups. Mix together 1 package sugar substitute of your choice and ½ tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle a little on top of each. Place the 4 custard cups on a baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
5. Serve warm. Dollop with a little whipped cream or yogurt on top, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 4 servings (each serving, 1 custard cup full of bread pudding)
Clear glass custard cups are not only perfect for desserts but also come in handy when using different ingredients while cooking and baking. You can buy them in places such as Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are available in a variety of sizes. I’m using the 6 ounce size which are 4″ wide, for this recipe.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: 1 serving
(each serving, 1 custard cup full of bread pudding)
198 calories, 2g fat, 6g protein, 45g carbs, 4g fiber, 135mg sodium, 28g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving of Barefoot Contessa’s Croissant Bread Pudding
581 calories, 35g fat, 14g protein, 56g carbs, 2g fiber, 376mg sodium, 35g sugar