Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Homemade Kicking Barbecue Sauce:
1 jar ( 24 oz) pasta sauce, I like Classico Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
1 cup onion, chopped fine
½ cup brown sugar, packed
⅓ cup honey
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard or yellow mustard (don’t use Dijon)
1 tablespoon chili pepper sauce, I like Trader Joe’s brand or Tabasco sauce
Ingredients for Chicken:
12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3-3½ pounds)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring often for about 20-25 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
3. While sauce is heating, remove all skin from chicken thighs. Place thighs in a 13 x 9 inch Pyrex dish or pan lined with foil.
4. Set aside 2 cups barbecue sauce for later. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
5. To finish off the chicken, broil or cook on the grill.
6. To broil: Place chicken on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover chicken with half the remaining sauce. Broil for about 5 minutes until chicken is caramelized. Turn over, spread with remaining sauce and broil for about 5 more minutes until caramelized.
7. To grill: Prepare grill to cook at medium heat. Brush chicken with barbecue sauce and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over, brush with more sauce and cook about 5 more minutes until caramelized.
Makes 12 pieces (each thigh, about 3-4 ounces of chicken)
Chicken used to be considered a luxury meat. It’s now so reasonable that it’s an everyday food for most people. Using bone-in chicken has more flavor than boneless.
Chicken is a great source of protein, niacin and iron. It’s also a useful source of B vitamins. Most of the fat is in the skin which can be easily removed. Although chicken breasts are leaner than thighs, once you remove the skin a typical thigh has 100 calories and 3 grams of fat.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 thigh (each thigh, about 3-4 ounces of chicken)
197 calories, 4g fat, 17g protein, 23g carbs, 1g fiber, 332mg sodium, 20g sugar,
|FAT FACTS: for 1 thigh with skin
306 calories, 15g fat, 17g protein, 27g carbs, 2g fiber, 401mg sodium, 22g sugar