Avocado Toast just got “autumnalized!” We thought switching out mashed butternut squash for the avocado was a “Why didn’t I think of that?” move, and adding a slick of caramelized onion jam and a carpet of creamy ricotta cheese was sheer genius. This dish comes from Food 52 and can easily be the answer to your “What can I serve with soup?” dinner question.
Butternut Squash on Toast
- One 3-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chile flakes, more to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1yellow onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1large loaf of Pugliese, or smaller, thick slices country bread
- 1heaping cup ricotta
- Flaky salt, for finishing
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
Read the rest of the recipe instructions here.