Because women are turning 50 every day, and because one can never have too many suggestions about what to buy someone who is having a 50th birthday (and beyond), BA50‘s editors have scoured the Internet, specialty stores…and our crowded little minds to find some more great gift ideas.
Additions to our previous lists will become a regular segment, so you will never be left in the dark when it comes to finding the perfect gift for the next lucky woman to Join the Movement and enter the BA50 club!
1. Attention Boston Boomers and Empty Nesters! Give yourself and a friend the gift of figuring out What’s Next after the kids have left the nest or after retirement (and get a discount when you bring a friend). Roll up your sleeves, hands-on workshop immersions at SHE DID IT/Boston on March 24, 2014 at Babson College in Wellesley. You don’t want to miss SHE DID IT/Boston- register here.
2. We heard about WeMontage from our good friend and BA50, Lois Alter Mark: she had some of the photos from her recent trip to Africa made into a beautiful montage on removable wallpaper that now hangs in her office, and WeMontage was the company that created her masterpiece. What better way to celebrate (and document) a milestone birthday than with a montage of photos from the event? As an alternate, but still great idea, get friends (and relatives) to choose photos from the past and have the montage made in advance of the birthday. Either way, it will be a wonderful gift/memento to last a lifetime. WeMontage $10/sq. foot (and Lois is offering a great sale through her blog.)
3. We women are always thinking ahead: planning vacations, back-to-school shopping trips, making holiday preparations– and we found the perfect tote- great for summer, of course, but really for any time of year! What could be better for the 50-year-old birthday girl than a terrific leather and canvas Tote from Kate Spade that is both adorable and functional…and just says it all? (And it’s calorie-free!) You might include a G.C. to a local bakery, or better yet, bring the actual cake with you when you give her the tote. Kate Spade “Terry” Tote $119.004. A perfect way to tell a friend how much she means to you! This silver bracelet is beautiful in its simplicity, and complex in its message. Inscribed inside is a quote (composed by you) that only the wearer will see…and keep close to her heart. A tiny birthstone adorns the quote and makes the message seem that much more personal. Inspiration Quote Bracelet $99.95
5.The price tag may be a little steep for a toaster, but what a toaster! This Bugatti (yes, that Bugatti) is top of the line for the BA50 who loves kitchen gadgets. It’s garnered terrific reviews all around the web. So you have to ask, “Who wouldn’t want a shiny purple Bugatti their garage?” …Appliance garage, that is. Volo Toaster $300.00
6. And while we talking splurges, how about another pretty something to put in her garage? (Her real garage, this time.) The Genuine Buddy Scooter is perfect for jaunting around town. Any ecological-minded BA50 will be happy to know that it’s easy on the gas, and in Potent Pink, it’s easy on the eyes as well. Genuine Buddy Scooter $2599.007. By the time you hit 50, you are pretty much resigned to the fact that there are just some things you have no control over. Being able to choose the fabric for purses, tablet covers, laptop cases, and makeup bags should not be included in that category. 1154 Lill Studio is a wonderful little company that has a beautiful array of over 130 fabrics just waiting to be made into over 40 styles of bags and accessories. They’ll make a perfect gift to present to your favorite BA50…one that totally matches her taste and style 1154 Lill Studio Custom Handbags, from $69.00 and up.
8. The word on the street is that animal prints are going to be really big this fall, and if your BA50 is planning on celebrating her big day in a far-off place, you know she wouldn’t want to be caught using luggage that doesn’t make an up-to-date statement.This set of Adrienne Vittadini Southampton luggage has a lovely, but understated leopard print that will get her noticed in any airport on the planet. Adrienne Vittadini 4-piece Southampton Luggage Set $249.99 Have you given or received any spectacular gifts that you think other BA50s would love? We’d like to know, so send in your suggestions, and they might just appear in future Gift Guides.