Hair care is a learned skill and the older we get the more we need to know. Finding someone who knows their products and how it will work with your particular issue — mine being dry fly away, brassy hi-lights and sometimes frizzy hair — is always welcome information.
I have tried many products as a publisher of Better After 50 and have found most just don’t do the trick. That’s why I was thrilled to meet Meika of the Beauty Zone in Park City, Utah. She seemed to really understand what I needed.
In an attempt to create a silky smooth look for my hair I consulted with expert Meika who has been working in the TV and Movie industry for years and gave me the best advice for products and hair care.
At the end of the interview where she gave me the best advice about her favorite products she treated me to a quickie Hot Tool pick me up Beach Wave with a silky smooth look without even washing my hair. (See last minute of this video).
I had so much fun interviewing Meika and learning and I’m truly felt like I was learning from about hair products from a Hair Scientist.
How could I have gotten to this age of advanced wisdom — and not have known the basics? The pearls in this video are priceless.
I don’t wash my hair every day because it feels like it dries it out. As a women in her 60’s, I have to constantly deal with fly away ends, dryness on my scalp and hydration and well as brassiness from hi-lights. Meika had answers to all of these issues and more.
Just a foot note before you watch this video. Meika is the real deal and is a hairdresser to the stars. She works on-site when the Movies and TV Series, most recently, Yellowstone and Disney films are being filmed here in Park City and nearby. She has some incredible one-on-one stories. I was lucky to catch her between her work on location and get Hollywood level hair care advice.
You are going to want to listen all the way through if you are looking for the full picture of how to create healthier hair.
I asked Meika first of off: What are the top issues for women over 50:
1. Limp hair and no movement is a major issue.
2. Product Selection is a big issue:
Shampoo/Conditioner – Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Shampoo. Meika says this gives you the right amount of hydration without weighing you down.
3. What’s your theory on how often to wash your hair?
Your scalp is skin. Meika recommends how to massage your scalp with conditioner which needs to be massaged in.
Conditioner – Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Conditioner.
4. Blow Drying your hair for a natural look.
Bumble Again Works The Best: Bumble and Bumble Thickening Full Form Soft Mousse because it has no crunch and it plumps your hair. You apply it generously and the mousse and won’t dry your scalp.
5. Purple Shampoo — When there’s alot of lighteners and even sporadic hi-lighting, Meika loves
Aluram Coconut Water Based Purple Shampoo for Women – Sulfate & Paraben Free. It is Vegan and organic and should only be used once a week.
6. Damaged Hair —Olaplex Number 3 Hair Perfector. To apply — believe it or not — you put it on your dry hair before you shower and wash your hair. Listen up as Meika describes this process. This was totally new information for me as I love this product but had not been using it correctly.
7. Your Hair brush—Olivia Garden NanoThermic Ceramic + Ion Hair Brush. Apparently we need to brush our hair often, way more than most of us do, as it’s super important for our blood circulation for your scalp and it also helps to shed loose hairs so we don’t clog our pores
8. Heat Protection – Perfect Defense From Morocan Oil. When blow drying your hair, Meika loves this product to keep your hair from getting damaged by the heat.
9. Hot Tool Curling Iron: Watch How Mika gives me a little pick me up after our interview.