We’ve all been there. You’ve spent your entire wardrobe budget on pretty dresses and skirts, and now that summer is over you’re wondering how these beauties are going to transition to fall. Alexa Taylor, fashion blogger and style expert, believes that this fall everyone can Raise the sartorial bar with the dress-over-pants look (or D.O.P. for short). The new modern way to pull of a D.O.P, according to Alexa, is decidedly more streamlined and sophisticated. And, it isn’t tough to master at all.
Emma Watson may have brought the D.O.P. idea back to the masses this past awards season, but these 5 fashionable ladies selected by Alexa Taylor were rocking the look long before the fashion-forward actress.
Checkout the tips to achieving this look!
- Casually Cool: A sweater dress over jeans is proof that a statement piece (or two) can amp up any old look. One tip to keep in mind when rocking skinnies underneath a heavy dress and coat combo is keep them as skin-tight as possible.
- Sophisticated Layering: Nothing is worse than making a 45-minute commute in a pencil skirt and heels, and it’s even worse when it’s blistering cold. Alexa Taylor loves this office-appropriate layering trick — a simple, straight-cut dress over slim pants.
- Edgy Princess: While this D.O.P. has nothing to do with utility, you’ll no doubt get attention from street style shutterbugs in a wispy look (even if you are shivering). The man-repelling Leandra adds a punch of drama to an otherwise boring outfit with layered tulle and two-tone tap shoes.
- Pretty in Pink: Not only do leather pants add a dose of badass to a super girly getup, but they allow you to wear that too-short-to-be-worn-alone babydoll dress. Alexa loves how this editor mixes her prints.
- The Mix Master: Who says duck boots have to be frumpy? Take a cue from Taylor Tomasi Hill, the crimson-haired editor-turned-florist, in this winter-ready outfit. She’s a pro when it comes to mixing flashy accessories like this glam gold plated belt ($20) with everyday staples like this oversized plaid shirt.