It’s always a good time for chocolate cookies, and a little spice gives these an extra Yuletide-ish flair. They’re also gluten-free, so, if Santa is watching his gluten intake, these would be perfect to leave out for him on Christmas Eve. This recipe is from Denise Costello, and for more gluten-free cookie recipes, check out her website, theenergizedbody.com.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Spice Cookies(from America’s Test Kitchen)Makes about 42 cookies
• 1 3/4 cups whole or slivered almonds
• 1 cup (4 ounces) confectioner’s sugar
• 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
•1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 large egg whites
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Process almonds and confectioner’s sugar in food processor until almonds are very finely ground, about 45 seconds. Add chocolate, 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and salt and process until chocolate is finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add egg whites and vanilla and pulse until dough forms, about 10 pulses.
3. Transfer dough to piece of parchment paper, kneading gently to form smooth ball. Let dough sit until no longer sticky, about 10 minutes. Top with second piece of parchment paper and roll dough 1/4 inch thick; refrigerate for 10 minutes.
4. Spread remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small shallow dish. Using a 2-inch star cutter, cut dough into shares, rerolling scraps and re chilling as needed. Dip stars in sugar to coat and space them 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until cookies have puffed and cracked but centers are still soft, 13-15 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely before serving.