This escarole soup is light and full of greens that will energize you for the longer days ahead!
(adapted from this recipe)
1 head escarole
3 cloves garlic, minced + 1 more for making garlic croutons
1 small white onion, chopped
1/4 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup prepared cannelini beans
6 cups vegetable stock
salt, pepper, chili flakes
dense, brown, oat-y bread (I used a Swiss health bread variety) for croutons
2 T olive oil
1. Wash escarole thoroughly – you may have to ‘disassemble’ it to do so – and give it a rough chop.
2. In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil. Add onion and minced garlic and cook until just golden and fragrant.
3. Add escarole and use a pair of tongs to toss gently until it wilts.
4. Add stock and rice to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of chili flakes and bring up to a boil.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 10-15 minutes more, until the rice is cooked.
6. Add beans, taste for seasoning and add a little bit more pepper and chili flakes, if needed. Remove from heat.
7. Cut the bread into large croutons, toast, and rub with half of a clove of garlic. Serve soup with three or four croutons right on top.