My Resolution: Be A Sex Goddess

January 1, 2013

My Resolution - To Be A Sex GoddessIf you’ve seen my profile at The Huffington Post, you’ll notice that I called myself “Writer, Sex Goddess.” Admittedly I agonized over that, briefly. I sought opinions from my friends on Facebook before submitting my short bio.

Why shouldn’t I call myself a Sex Goddess? Don’t we tell little girls they can be anyone or anything they want? Aren’t we able to recreate ourselves at every stage of life?

Right this moment it’s possible to see yourself as many things. Chef. CEO. Queen of Retail. Physician. Sex Goddess.

Sex Goddess is a big deal to me. Yes, I say it with a twinkle in my eye and a little smile. I haven’t put it on my business card, nor have I informed my adult sons or my mother of my new life calling. I’m not sure they’d understand but I’m guessing that you do.

Let me tell you how I got here and why I think this name is appropriate.

Goddess:

1. A female being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people.
2. A female being believed to be the source of life and being and worshipped as the principal deity in various religions. Used with the.
3. An image of a female supernatural being; an idol.
4. Something, such as fame or wealth, that is worshipped or idealized.
5. A woman of great beauty or grace.

First of all, I’d love to be worshipped if that meant my followers would bring me offerings of love, gifts, sexy lingerie and money. How far out would that be? Worshipping would be fabulous. Young men (and women) would follow my every word, lift the hem of my gown as I walked and sit idly by, on pillows, soaking up my every word. Older men would want to be in my presence, eager for me to confer my wise words and knowing hands on their sexuality. And give gifts of money.

A woman of great beauty or grace. What can I say?

Seriously. My sexual awakening didn’t happen in my youth or during my 25+ years of marriage. I discovered myself sexually, over a period of years starting in the mid 2000′s. Post-divorce and in the midst of some unusual dating situations.

It was more than discovering that I enjoy sex. To me, being a Sex Goddess means that I have obtained some wisdom as it relates to sexuality. The sexuality we each possess as women, in our own rights, as well as the dance of men and women (or women and women) as they come together.

My goal is to spark the awkward conversations–push the comfort zone– and encourage women of all ages to develop a healthy, well-informed outlook on their own sexuality.  I’m not saying that we should spend all our time talking about, thinking about and pursuing sexual activities. What I envision for my worshippers (it has such a heady ring) is a healthy outlook on all things sexual. I’ll go into more detail as I begin to lay out my vision more clearly.

For now, I’m just like everyone else. I wear sweats around the house, I plan cookie parties with my grandchildren and I think about my next opportunity to exhibit my playful, sexual side.

As one last offering I’d like to remind each and every one of you, that you too can become a Sex Goddess. Maybe a lesser goddess, but a goddess nonetheless.

previously printed on Walker Thornton’s blog: www.awomanspage.com

18 Responses to My Resolution: Be A Sex Goddess

1. Hope Szabo on January 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm

You hit the nail on the head with this one. I am so with you on this. After 50 is when I came into my sexual self. Unfortunately, my husband was going out of his. I think we are coming back around and after watching “Hope Springs”, he is terrified I will make him go to therapy so it is getting even better. LMAO! all the way to the bedroom or wherever we feel like it.

• Walker Thornton on January 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

So glad this resonated with you. I don’t get why men are so fearful of therapy (well, sorta) but I know from experience that my ex-husband hated it!

2. Chloe Jeffreys on January 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I for one am glad you have come out of the closet and proclaimed yourself a Sex Goddess. Frankly, what we women–Hell, the entire world–need now most of all is a sex goddess with some wisdom in her brain, and not just a big pair of fake plastic knockers (not that there is anything wrong with fake knockers, per se).

We’ve had to listen for so long to the lie from the media that surrounds us that a “Sex Goddess” is something for men to look at, and not someONE who understands her own sexuality. I will happily toss flowers at the feet of anyone who can overturn that lie for us women and help all of us to embrace our sexuality no matter the size of our breasts or the firmness of our flesh.

• Walker Thornton on January 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

No plastic here, Chloe. As for changing attitudes and society? We have to do this together, but I’m quite proud to proclaim myself as a leader!

3. Ellen Dolgen on January 1, 2013 at 10:45 pm

So glad to hear that you have found yourself sexually and that you are embracing who you really are.

4. spadance on January 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I can’t wait to read more…good luck on this journey and please do share…

• Walker Thornton on January 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm

spadance,
      Thank you. Come over to my blog and join in the conversation. I do intend to share my journey as we can all benefit from this topic.

5. Haralee on January 2, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I can just imagine at a party you answering questions of what do you do, and you say I am a sex goddess. Either it is a conversation starter or stopper, but you will be remembered!

• Walker Thornton on January 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Too funny. I did have a recent conversation w/ complete strangers about my recent 30 days to sexuality. Guy came to table and I said, ‘we’re having a sex talk.” He smiled…and I said, “oh I mean a real sex talk, vaginas and all.” He stayed with it and contributed in a non-lewd way!

6. elizabeth on January 3, 2013 at 8:43 am

turning 59 next month still in the category?

• Walker Thornton on January 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Elizabeth, I’m 58 and in a relationship with a 64 year old. We’re having a blast and I’ve never felt sexier…so, in a word? YES

7. MC on January 4, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I can tell you personally, women are simply stunning brides at any age but after 50 they truly glow when they walk down the aisle with their beloved. I had one bride who unabashingly said, “You know I’m older than he is, isn’t he a hottie?” She was in her glory, knowing that a younger man would want to be her husband. It was truly a special union of two individuals, who simply knew, they’d be lost without each other.

As I am in the same age category you write of, and just recently was contacted by a man I dated 36 years ago, I am counting my blessings! I have this saying, “I love being this age, at this stage of my life!”

I’ll be looking for your next writing!

• Walker Thornton on January 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Thank you. Your experience is testimony to the fact that we can lead a spicy, exciting life at any age.

8. B on January 7, 2013 at 11:02 am

Wow! This is so relevant to me, right now. I hit the big 50 a few month ago and have also dropped some major weight. It is all about being the sex goddess and I can’t get enough. My hubby is looking at me and wondering where his wife went, he is finally coming along for the ride and I believe he likes it. I know I do. 50 is fabulous!

• Walker Thornton on January 9, 2013 at 8:37 pm

It is indeed isn’t it. Congratulations to you! Love that you’ve found that sweet spot.

9. [...] And, in that moment, this divorced 58-year-old woman felt alive, empowered, and sexy as hell. I felt like a Sex Goddess. [...]

10. The Sex Expert--My New Job - Walker Thornton on April 25, 2013 at 9:20 am

[...] And, in that moment, this divorced 58-year-old woman felt alive, empowered, and sexy as hell. I felt like a Sex Goddess. [...]